Saturday, January 17, 2009

Art or craft

So this morning I made Martin some scrambled eggs, and I used the ketchup to turn them into a lion. He told me he loved the art I created with ketchup and eggs, and I returned the compliment telling him that I loved the art he was creating with pencil and paper(he was learning to draw super diaper baby and some other characters out of captain underpants). Martin then informed me that what he was doing wasn't art since he was learning to draw from a book. This brings up the art or craft argument. Is one creative just because they are technically skilled in their particular artform? What role does creativity play. If all one does is repeat what has been done before, are they truly an artist, or simply a craftsperson? And, why SIMPLY a craftsperson? Is being an artist inherently better than being a craftsperson?

No comments: